11.03.2011

I now understand the phrase male chauvinist pig

In my ethics and values class we usually have discussions--more like debates--on a certain issue that we previously had read about or researched the day before. I usually sit in the back and listen/laugh at the people around me. Yesterday was a different story.


The reading was on feminism.


I have never even given an extra thought about this word. To me it was like a personal choice and I didn't really care too much about it. Even if my sister Kristine and BFF Brittany are the definition of it-it just never hit me. UNTIL I sat there listening to these male pigs in my class pound women against the wall. The problem might have been due to the fact that I am 1 of 3 people in a class of 25. 


The teacher made it known that usually women don't really speak up in ratio's such as this so after we heard from some of the male pigs she let us speak. I voiced my concern how I didn't even care about it and often times the world has seen it as a type of complaining from women. But if it's done right-it actually can be very powerful. All it really is, is women studies. 


I couldn't believe some of the comments that these guys made. Even this married rich well respected fellow in my class gave the most horrible remarks. I think I just have a rough crowd that fills this later class in the day at UVU. I hope that's it. Please tell me not all males are like this. 


"It's just not ethical. You don't see me forming groups and going around town making a huge fuss about why can't I have children. It's just not ethical."


"I don't know what women are fighting for anymore. We have made it so you can come and attend school with us. Although you'll just attend it and drop out once you're married anyway. I put women in the same category as the blacks. What are they complaining about? Discrimination? We're letting you run our country."


"I actually would rather feed the kids cheerios than go to work every morning so please don't complain."






I was so worked up as you could imagine-and I'm not even a feminist!
Kristine and Brit: keep fighting that fight you strong women of mine...
Sorry venting for two shakes.
Peace.

4 comments:

  1. 1. Not all men are like this.
    2. Ahhh! What the heck!?!
    3. The reason you'd rather be feeding your kids cheerios is because you're lazy and don't realize that child-rearing involves a whole lot of pain, patience, and time. And by the way, ever try breast feeding? From what I hear, it hurts like hell.
    4. MOST women find getting an education fulfilling, rewarding, and necessary, just in case one of you morons can't hold a job anymore.
    5. You don't make a fuss about not being able to have children, because physically, it's impossible. But guess what! You can still have children! You just need a WOMAN to do it!

    Vent over. Some men are idiots. I am by no means a feminist by the traditional sense. I want an education and career, but my family will come first. I like being domestic. But I hate when people refuse to think, use their brains, and use their brains productively. Instead they say moronic things like you heard in class. Idiots.

    Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh my gosh I wish I'd been there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would hate my sociology of gender class! for the last month we've talked about feminism! Well except nobody is closed minded and if there's any bigotry nobody expresses it. It's a pretty open minded class.

    ReplyDelete